Experience PCC Academics Continuing Education Distance Learning Faculty & Staff Contact
Apply Now Click Here
Gainful Employment Reports
Back to:

How to Apply: Apply for Federal Loans

Federal Direct Loan Program

Accepting your Federal Loans

Before accepting your student loans, we encourage you to learn more about the program by visiting StudentAid.ed.gov.

The William D. Ford Direct Loan Program is the largest federal student loan program. Under this program, the U.S. Department of Education is your lender. There are four types of Direct Loans available:

Steps to Accept your Federal Loans

You must reapply for financial aid each academic year by completing the FAFSA. When you apply for financial aid each year, you will be offered loans as part of your financial aid award if you are eligible. A loan is money you borrow and must pay back with interest.

After you have completed your FAFSA and submitted all required follow-up documentation, you will be notified at your myPittcc email account that your award is ready to be reviewed. In order to receive the loan portion of your award you must accept them by completing the following steps:

Step 1: Complete Online Entrance Counseling - New Borrowers

Click on the link above or go to www.studentloans.gov to log in to the site using your FAFSA information to complete the Online Entrance Counseling:

Step 2: Complete Your Electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) - New Borrowers

There are two methods to complete your Master Promissory Note. Click on the link above or go to www.studentloans.gov and submit your MPN electronically, signing with your PIN number, or you may print a paper MPN and mail it to the address listed below for the federal government to process. The paper MPN may increase the length of time it takes to process your loans.

Department of Education
100 Capitol Commerce Blvd
Montgomery, AL 36117

Step 3: Complete Loan Workshop - New Borrowers

Workshops are offered online and on-campus.  The loan workshop is designed to help borrowers make more informed decisions and to increase their financial literacey.  To complete online workshops go to www.saltmoney.org, click Resources, Choose Lessons, Click "Own Your Student Loans."  Complete the Lesson.  Print the confirmation page. 

To see the dates and times of the on-campus workshops click here.

Step 4: Direct Loan Acceptance Form - New and Returning Borrowers

You accept your loan awards by completing the Loan Acceptance Form and submitting it to the Financial Aid office. You will not receive loan funds if you do not complete this important step. DO NOT submit this form BEFORE you receive your award letter.

You will need to provide a comprehensive listing of your current student loan debt. Go to www.nslds.ed.gov, print your loan history, and attach a copy of it to your Loan Acceptance Form; even if your identifiers cannot be found. If the amount listed above is greater than $0, click on "MyStudentDataDownload" at www.nslds.ed.gov to find your lender name, phone number, and website address

Loan Acceptance Form

To decline your loans

If you would like to decline your Federal Stafford Loans, you simply do not have to accept your loans on WebAdvisor nor submit the Loan Acceptance Form. 

Who is my Lender/Servicer?

To find out who services your student loans (your lender), and how to contact the servicer, call the Department of Education customer service line at: 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

To find out your Federal Stafford Loan balance and/or total debt go to www.nslds.ed.gov.

New Loan Length Restrictions

Beginning July 1, 2013, the length of time students will have access to subsidized loans is limited for new borrowers. Students cannot borrow more than 150% of a student's program length. For example, students who enroll in a two-year degree program can only borrow loans for three years total. Once that limit has been reached, a student may borrow only unsubsidized loans, and will begin to accrue interest on outstanding subsidized loans. For more information, please visit: Direct Subsidized Loan Limit.

Graduating or Leaving PCC?

All students who receive a student loan at PCC must complete Exit Counseling when they drop below half time, graduate or leave the college due to withdrawal. Students who leave the College without completing exit counseling are at a higher risk of defaulting on their loans. Be in the know about your loans and complete Exit Counseling.

Click on the link below to complete the requirement online.

Direct Loan Counseling

Free Financial Resources for YOU!

PCC has teamed up with SALT, a new, free membership program that helps you manage your student loans and money. SALT is easy, confidential, and just for you; all for free!

With SALT, you can:

Visit SALTMONEY.ORG to get your future started!

Loan Repayment and What Can I Afford?

If you have received a student loan while in school, you will go into repayment on that loan at some point. Click on the link below to learn more about loan repayment.

Loan Repayment Plans

What Loans Payments Can I Afford?

How do I decide what the right loan amount might be? Try the free CFNC Smart Calculator at www.tinyurl.com/CFNCcalc

Loan Questions

If you have questions about your current or previous loans (your responsibilities, regulations, payment options, complaints, etc.) you may contact us, your lender, or in case of dispute, contact the Department of Education's Loan Ombudsman as a last resort at:

U.S. Department of Education
FSA Ombudsman Group
830 First Street, N.S., Mail Stop 5144
Washington, D.C. 20202-5144

Phone: 877-557-2575
Fax: 202-275-0549

Applying for a Private Student Loan

Private student loans are non-federal loans, made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, state agency, or a school. To apply for a private loan to attend PCC, please follow these steps:

  1. Review Types of Aid at U.S. Department of Education Federal Aid. This explains the difference between Federal and Private Loans.
  2. Complete Financial Aid File. Complete your financial aid file, which includes the FAFSA and all required follow-up paperwork. Our school code is 004062.
  3. Apply. Choose a lender or bank to apply for a Private Education Loan. PCC does not offer a preferred lender list for private loans. Students may check with their bank or research private loans on the Web. We strongly encourage students to borrow Federal loans first as they offer better benefit and interest rates. Interest rates on private loans are usually significantly higher than on Federal loans.
  4. School Certification. Our office will certify the loan once we receive a certification request from your lending institution and your financial aid file is complete. Private loan limits are set by Federal regulations and cannot exceed the cost of attendance minus any financial aid received. We are not responsible for the timeliness of private loans and students should address all customer service issues with their chosen lender. Your school charges will not be deducted from your private education loan if the loan certification request is not received by the tuition due date.
  5. Eligibility Requirements. For most private lenders, there is no minimum credit hour restriction nor do they require the student to be making satisfactory academic progress as determined by the school. Students should verify restrictions with their lender. Be aware that most private lenders require a good credit rating and may also require a co-signer.
  6. Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification. Pursuant to Section 155 of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, (HEA) and to satisfy the requirements of Section 128(e)(3) of the Truth in Lending Act, a lender must obtain a self-certification signed by the applicant before disbursing a private education loan. The school is required on request to provide this form or the required information only for students applying for the loan. The applicant and the student may be the same person.

Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification