Experience PCC Academics Continuing Education Distance Learning Faculty & Staff Contact
Apply Now Click Here

Gainful Employment Reports
Back to:

Veteran's Affairs

This site was designed as a resource for veterans and their dependents/spouses using the GI Bill at Pitt Community College.

Schedule an appointment with the Vet Center Counselor. Please check in at the desk located in the front entrance of the Goess Student Center.

Schedule an appointment  with the VA Technical Assistant. For new veterans interested in enrolling at Pitt Community College, please check in at the desk located in the front entrance of the Goess Student Center.

Schedule an appointment with the VA Representative. Please check in at the desk located in the front entrance of the Goess Student Center.

Student Veterans' Association Information

Apply for Educational Benefits
Important Things to Know about Using your GI Bill at PCC
Links of Interest
Contact Us

​Apply for Educational Benefits

Step 1:  Complete Application for Benefits

To start the application process to use your GI Bill or to use the GI Bill of your spouse or parent, you first need to submit an application for benefits.

Application packets are available in the Veteran's Affairs Office located in the Goess Student Center Room 108 or a packet can be mailed directly to you.  To request a packet to be mailed to you, please contact Sonji Rowsom at (252) 493-7323.

Please check the groups (A or B) below to see what information needs to accompany your application.

Group A:  Individuals under the following categories:

Individuals applying for benefits under Group A are encouraged to submit a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4) or their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) in addition to completing the application.

Group B:  Individuals under the following category:
- Ch. 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program

Individuals applying for benefits under Group B are encouraged to submit a copy of their birth certificate (dependents) or their marriage certificate (spouses) in addition to completing the application. 

Step 2:  Submit all Official Transcripts

Prior to being certified for benefits, you must submit all official transcripts from your high school/GED equivalency and from any college/universities you've attended to the Office of the Registrar.  Click here for a printable transcript request form you can use to request transcripts from other institutions.

To check to see if your transcript has been received, you may contact the Registrar's Office at (252) 493-7232. 

Step 3:   Register & Pay for Classes 

Spring 2011 Registration Information

Once you've registered and paid for classes, you need to submit a copy of your schedule and a copy of your receipt of payment to the VA Certifying Official (VACO) located in the Goess Student Center Room 108.

For Ch. 33 participants, submit a copy of your schedule and the VACO will hold your seat in your classes while waiting for payment from the The Department of Veterans  Affairs.

Once this information has been received, the VACO will submit your enrollment certification to the Department of Veteran Affairs.  It can take anywhere from 60-90 days for VA to process your information and for you to receive your first check. 

Click here for a sample enrollment certification for Ch.'s 30, 1606, or 1607. 
Click here for a sample enrollment certification for Ch. 35.

Individuals who are attending PCC may be eligible for an advanced payment of their GI Bil for their first semester only. The deadline for submitting an advanced payment is 45 days prior to the start of classes.  All VA paperwork and official transcripts must be received prior to this deadline in order for the advanced payment to be submitted.  For more information, please contact the VACO.

**Students receiving GI Bill benefits must submit a copy of their schedule and receipt of payment each semester they wish to be certified.

Step 4:  Verify Enrollment (For individuals under Ch. 30, Ch. 1606, and Ch. 1607 only)

Prior to receiving your check, you must verify your enrollment at the end of the month on a monthly basis.  You should wait until the end of the first month of school to verify your enrollment for the first time. 

You can verify your enrollment by one of the following methods:

- Interactive Voice Response (IVP) system at 1-877-823-2378

- Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) website

 Click here for a printable enrollment verification sheet.  

​Important Things to Know about Using your GI Bill at PCC

You can only receive VA funds for approved curriculum programs.  Most degree programs are approved by VA, but if you're unsure, contact the VACO.  Continuing education courses are not approved by VA.

VA will only pay for courses in your major.  (This is why it's important to register/get advice on what to register for from your advisor) VA will not pay for independent study, audited classes, or credit by exam.

You are responsible for paying your tuition and fees up front as your enrollment certifications will not be processed by VA until after classes have begun.  Unless you have other funds such as financial aid or tuition assistance, we will not be able to hold your schedule or make special arrangements for you.  It is your responsibility to make arrangements to cover your tuition, fees, and book each semester.

It can take anywhere from 60-90 days for VA to process your claim for benefits.

If you change your major, you must notify the VACO prior to changing it with the Registrar's office.

Any change in personal information (address, name, etc.) must be reported to our office if you wish for us to notify VA.

IMPORTANT!! Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to continue to receive VA benefits.  Click here for more information on the requirements.

It is your responsibility to notify us of any changes in your schedule - dropping a class, adding a class, withdrawing from a class(es), etc.

If you withdraw from classes or don't report changes when verifying your enrollment, you may owe back money to VA.  Contact the VACO before making changes to your schedule to double check or if you have any questions. 

​Links of Interest

Department of Veterans Affairs**  
**Information and updates on the New GI Bill can be found here

Current Education Benefit Payment Rates

Department of Veterans Affairs, Vocational Rehabilitation

North Carolina Army National Guard


Military Transcript

​Contact Us

Sonji Rowsom, VACO
Goess Student Center Room 108
(252) 493-7323

Note: Some links on this page leave the PCC web site.  These links are not to be considered as being endorsed by Pitt Community College.

Back to Top