Applying for Commencement Participation
Upon recommendation of the faculty and the approval of the board of trustees, appropriate degrees and diplomas will be awarded to students successfully completing the requirements of the curricula in which they are enrolled. All students awarded degrees and/or diplomas are invited to apply for participation in commencement exercises.
All students must:
- Complete course requirements as prescribed in the catalog of record of the candidate for graduation (see Catalog of Record)
- Earn a minimum of 2.0 grade point average ("C" average) in the required courses of the curriculum * for which they are applying for graduation
- Clear all financial obligations to the College
- Complete at least 25% of credit hours required for the degree or diploma at the College, of which 12 semester hours must be major course work with appropriate departmental prefix designation for a degree or diploma (see Transfer Credit)
- Meet a minimum math competency of MAT-070 or DMA-040.
- Apply for graduation with faculty advisor by the fifteenth calendar day of the semester of anticipated graduation.
* All health science students must maintain a grade of “C” in all curriculum courses.
In some cases, circumstances may warrant the substitution of a course for a course required for graduation. Substitutions must be approved by the student's advisor, the dean, and the registrar.
Students should meet with their advisors and complete their graduation checklist prior to registering for the candidates' last semester of attendance. The advisors will submit a list of potential candidates for graduation to the Admissions and Records Office. After validation by the Admissions and Records Office, the Vice President of Student Development Services will be notified of candidates' eligibility for graduation. Those students determined ineligible will be notified by their advisors.
Students are eligible to graduate with honors if their major GPA is 3.50 the semester prior to graduation in the curriculum from which they are graduating.
Graduation exercises are held in May. Degree and diploma recipients are eligible to march.
Students pay for their caps, gowns, and diploma jackets. The College provides degrees and diplomas.
Students will receive a letter in February from the Vice President, Student Development Services Office, giving specifics to participate in the graduation ceremony. If you plan to march in the Spring Commencement Ceremony and have not received your letter that includes cap and gown purchase information by late February, please contact Betty Foreman at (252) 493-7320 or email@example.com.
Summer Graduates Participating in Spring Ceremonies:
Students scheduled to graduate at the end of summer semester may request to participate in the spring semester graduation ceremony.
Students desiring to participate during the spring graduation ceremony:
- Should make an appointment with their advisors to discuss their graduation readiness
- Must be within 12 hours of graduation or have approval of the Dean
- Must register and pay for ALL classes needed to graduate in August before the end of the spring semester (student’s advisor is responsible for verifying)
- Must pass all courses taken in the spring
- Must pay fees for graduation
Summer graduates participating in the spring graduation ceremony will be eligible to receive an honor cord for the spring graduation ceremony if their major GPA is 3.5 the semester prior to the ceremony.
In addition, all requests for summer graduates to participate in the spring graduation ceremony are due at the same time requests for spring graduation are due. There will be no refunds of graduation fees if the student does not graduate.
Students will receive a letter from the Vice President, Student Development Services Office giving specifics to participate in the graduation ceremony. If you plan to march in the Spring Commencement Ceremony and have not received your letter that includes cap and gown purchase information by late February, please contact Betty Foreman at (252) 493-7320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.