PCC Honors 50 Top Students for Excellence
WINTERVILLE—Pitt Community College held its annual Academic Excellence Awards program last month to honor 50 top students for excellence in the classroom, on campus, and in the community.
The ceremony took place in the Craig F. Goess Student Center March 22 and featured PCC President G. Dennis Massey telling the student honorees that their talent and creativity would lead to a brighter future for “Pitt County, Eastern North Carolina and beyond.”
Panel Helps PCC Celebrate Women's History
Betty Foreman Named 2013 Woman of Substance Award Recipient
PCC celebrated Women’s History Month March 13 with a panel discussion on this year’s national theme: “Women Inspiring Innovation through Imagination: Celebrating Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics."
On hand to share their stories of success were Grady-White Boats President Kris Carroll, City of Greenville Finance Director Bernita Demery, and Dr. Stephanie Sullivan, senior site process engineer for Greenville’s DSM Dyneema.
Rook Travels to India through Fulbright
Dr. Stephanie Rook, dean of PCC's Arts and Sciences Division, recently traveled to India as one of 12 recipients of the 2013 Fulbright-Nehru International Education Administrators Seminar award.
Through the Fulbright Program, Rook and a team of academic administrators from throughout the nation are visiting colleges and universities in New Delhi, Mumbai and Cochin this month to facilitate higher education collaborations and exchanges between the United States and India.
During their stops, which also include various research institutes and non-governmental organizations, team members are meeting with high-ranking university administrators and public sector officials who play key roles in the planning and administration of higher education in India.
Arnold Named Coca-Cola Gold Scholar
PCC student Lindsay Arnold has been named a Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team Gold Scholar.
A Greenville resident, Arnold will graduate this year with a degree from PCC’s Associate in Science (Pre-Engineering) program. She is planning to pursue an engineering career and is considering transferring to either East Carolina University or N.C. State University to complete a bachelor’s degree.
Arnold is now the second PCC student to earn Gold Scholar honors from the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation in a two-year span, joining 2011 recipient and medical sonography graduate Morgan Kern. PCC graduate Adam Till was also honored by Coca-Cola as a national finalist in 2010.
April 2013 Edition Quick Hitters ...
• Each month, President G. Dennis Massey provides a "College Update" with the latest college news. Click HERE for Dr. Massey's April 2013 update.
• The 2013 Bulldog Run 5K fundraiser will take place on campus April 14. Sign up today at pccbulldogrun.com.
• The PCC Foundation announced on March 21 that the Pitt County Public Safety Team had captured the most votes in the "Dancing with the PCC Stars" dance competition. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• PCC has designated April 13-14 as “Alumni and Friends Celebration Weekend” and is inviting former students and friends of the college to take part in an awards ceremony on campus and party at the Greenville Hilton. (READ ARTICLE)
• The Faculty Senate has established a scholarship with the PCC Foundation. The merit-based, $500-scholarship will provide funds for textbooks for a student, beginning with the 2013 Fall Semester. The application deadline is April 22. (MORE DETAILS)
• After 35 years of service with the PCC Bookstore, Judy Harris has retired. President G. Dennis Massey presented Harris with a resolution in recognition of her longtime service to the college during the March 26 Board of Trustees meeting. A retirement reception was held for Harris two days later.
• PCC Police Officer Tyrone Turnage was promoted to sergeant during a ceremony held in the campus police department headquarters March 28. (PHOTO GALLERY)
• PCC and Pitt County Schools are partnering to give students from all six county high schools a closer look at manufacturing and engineering careers April 9. (READ ARTICLE)
• East Carolina student Nicole Jenkins has created an e-journal to detail her PCC Abroad trip to the British Isles last summer. (READ ARTICLE)
• An innovative partnership between PCC and North Carolina Wesleyan College is making access to a bachelor's degree more attainable and affordable. (READ ARTICLE)
• PCC Police Chief Alan Edwards retired from his post at the end of February after a 30-year law enforcement career, including 23 with PCC. (READ ARTICLE)
• Jordyn Roark, a student in the Adult High School program, took first place in the Rotary Club’s annual “Rotary Against Drugs Speech Competition” held Feb. 24 at Edgecombe Community College. (READ ARTICLE)
• Four ECU graduate students will be on the PCC campus April 18 to read from their original creative writing work. (MORE DETAILS)
• We are proud of our current students and graduates and love sharing their stories of success. If you are a PCC student or alum and have a success story you would like to share, please email Rob Goldberg, PCC communications director, so we can be sure to include you on our "Creating Success" web page.
Upcoming Events ...
• April 7 - Chamber Music Concert
• April 8-11 - ECU Bound?
• April 9 - Manufacturing Awareness Program
• April 9 - Social Media Workshop
• April 9 - DMA Session IV Registration
• April 10 - Spring Fling
• April 11 - Documentary - "Nefarious: Merchant of Souls"
• April 13 - PTK Yard Sale
• April 13 - Alumni Awards Presentation (Alumni Weekend)
• April 14 - Bulldog Run 5K
• April 15 - ECU Bound?
• April 15 - PCC Information Night
• April 17 - Earth Day
• April 17 - Priority Registration Begins
• April 28 - PCC Orchestra Concert
• April 30 - All-Majors Career Fair
• April 30 - PCC Orchestra Concert
• May 1 - Health Sciences Career Fair
• Be sure to watch "PCC Outreach with Ernis Lee" Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on Cable Channel 23.
NJCAA Names Bulldogs Hurler Jaimee Radel Its Division I Softball Pitcher of the Week
WINTERVILLE—The National Junior College Athletic Association has announced that Pitt Community College’s Jaimee Radel has been named its Division I Softball Pitcher of the Week.
Radel, a freshman out of Swansboro High School, earned the national honor by helping the Bulldogs win three games between the period of March 18 and March 24.
Radel began the week with seven solid innings in a 9-1 win at Louisburg College, giving up one hit, an unearned run and striking out eight. In game two of the doubleheader, she struck out five in two perfect innings of relief as Pitt claimed a 12-10 win.
Radel has been the Bulldogs’ ace this season with a team-low 0.60 ERA and a team-high 84 strikeouts.
Basketball Players Earn Region X Honors
Pitt Community College basketball players JaQuan Blount, Mike Tyson and Dee Robinson (pictured above, left to right) were recently honored for their contributions during the 2012-13 season.
Blount and Tyson were named All-Region X Conference First Team while Robinson earned All-Region X Conference Third Team honors.
PCC finished the season with a 20-8 overall record.
April 2013 Athletics Quick Hitters ...
• Former PCC baseball player Brett Williams made the most of his return trip to Greenville with the N.C. State Wolfpack against East Carolina April 2. Williams, a member of the 2010 baseball team that reached the NJCAA World Series, finished 2-for-4 from the plate with three runs batted in and a run scored to propel the Pack to a 6-1 victory over the Pirates. Both of Williams' hits were doubles. (PHOTO)
• The PCC Board of Trustees recognized Coach Darrick Mullins and members of the 2012-13 basketball team last month for their accomplishments on the hardwood this past season. (PHOTO)
• PCC Softball split a March 15 doubleheader against Florence-Darlington Technical College at Winterville Recreation Park. (PHOTO GALLERY)
Upcoming Home Athletic Events ...
• April 6-7 - Softball vs. USC-Sumter
• April 6-7 - Baseball vs. Guilford Tech
• April 9 - Baseball vs. Brunswick Community College
• April 10 - Softball vs. Louisburg College
• April 19-20 - Softball vs. Aiken Tech
• April 20-21 - Baseball vs. USC-Lancaster
• April 23 - Baseball vs. Lenoir Community College