Find PCC on Facebook and join the 4,038 fans already receiving our latest news, photos, videos, events and announcements!
SACSCOC Reaffirms PCC's Accreditation
|PCC administrators received word in June that SACSCOC voted to reaffirm the college's accreditation with no additional follow up.|
Library Receives Grant to Hire Consultant
|The library has been awarded a grant to develop a plan that will maximize existing study space and provide students with greater access to technological resources.|
SPAN Helping New Students Get Ahead
|PCC launched the Summer Program for Academic Navigation (SPAN) last month to help recent high school and GED graduates successfully transition into higher education this fall.|
July 2013 Edition Quick Hitters ...
• Each month, President G. Dennis Massey provides a "College Update" with the latest college news. Click HERE for Dr. Massey's July 2013 update.
• PCC has been selected as one of 12 North Carolina community colleges to pilot a reverse transfer program that awards credit toward an associate degree to students who have transferred to universities. (READ STORY)
• The VISIONS Career Development and Scholarship Program held its annual Summer Institute in June to introduce new participants to career and educational opportunities available to them locally. (READ STORY)
• Former PCC student Rex Nobles returned to campus May 31 to teach Electrical/Electronics Technology students about ‘pole dancing’ – and not the kind found in nightclubs. (READ STORY)
• Students and teachers from the Northeast Regional School of Biotechnology and Agriscience visited PCC last month to participate in biotechnology and ecology laboratory exercises led by college faculty. (READ STORY)
• On behalf of the Kiwanis Club of Golden K Greenville Foundation, Len Hooper and Bob Hursey presented a $1,000-check to the PCC Foundation last month to support the Ricks Automotive Scholarship. (PHOTO)
• Jennifer Michalek, a second-year Health Information Technology student, received a $500-scholarship on June 14 from the Behavioral Health Section of the N.C. Health Information Management Association. (PHOTO)
• The James Langston Memorial Fund Golf Tournament was held recently at Ayden Country Club. Proceeds from the event were designated to support the PCC Foundation and Pitt County Young Life. (PHOTO)
• PCC's new on-campus greenhouse is complete and classes are underway. (PHOTO)
• Emily R. Strickland, who earned an associate degree in Business Administration: Human Resources Management with honors in May, won a diploma frame donated by the PCC Bookstore for completing the college's online graduation survey. (FACEBOOK PHOTO)
• Roanoke River Partners, Inc., has announced that 1990 PCC graduate Carol Jones Shields is the organization's new executive director. (WNCT REPORT)
• Taylor Kern, a 2011 PCC University Transfer graduate, is on the cover of this month's Her Magazine. Check it out here: http://www.reflector.com/special-sections/her1307.
• At the conclusion of each semester, PCC compiles a list of graduates, Dean's List honorees and Honor Roll students. For more details and the most current lists, please visit the PCC News Central page (keep in mind that you may need to clear your internet browser history in order to view the updated pages).
• Automotive Systems Technology instructors and second-year students traveled to Randleman recently to visit the Petty's Garage, LLC facility. There, they met with legendary NASCAR driver Richard Petty and toured the garage and Petty's Victory Junction Gang Camp. Last fall, PCC and Petty's Garage entered a partnership to train students interested in pursuing careers in the automotive service industry.
• The PCC Symphony Orchestra made its first-ever appearance in Greenville’s "Sunday in the Park Series" on June 16. (SCENE AROUND PHOTO GALLERY)
• We are proud of our current students and graduates and love sharing their stories of success. If you are a PCC student or alum and have a success story you would like to share, please email Rob Goldberg, PCC communications director, so we can be sure to include you on our "Creating Success" web page.
Upcoming Events ...
• July 4 - Independence Day (Campus Closed)
• July 8-12 - AWARE Camp 1
• July 15-19 - AWARE Camp 2
• July 16 - Baseball Tryout
• July 16-18 - ECU University Transfer Information Sessions
• July 18 - 2013 Fall Semester Payment Deadline
• July 22 - Fall Registration Reopens
• July 24 - New Student Orientation
• July 25 - Summer Splash
• July 28 - Weekend College Ends
• Be sure to watch "PCC Outreach with Ernis Lee" Mondays at 8:30 p.m. on Cable Channel 23.
Volleyball Honored for Academic Success
The National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) recognized the 2012 Pitt Community College volleyball team and three of its members this month for outstanding academic achievement.
On June 18, the organization announced its annual Academic Student-Athlete Awards and named the Bulldogs volleyball squad as an All-Academic Team for posting a combined 3.34 GPA. Three players from the team – Kristen Jones, Megan Mansfield and Ginny Howard – received individual NJCAA Academic Student-Athlete Awards as well.
July 2013 Athletics Quick Hitters ...
• The 17th Annual Winners Unlimited Youth Basketball Camp presented by Hightower, Inc., took place in the college's Charles Coburn Center June 10-14. (FACEBOOK PHOTO GALLERY)
• PCC pitcher Dallas Newton was selected by the Arizona Diamondbacks last month with the 960th pick (32nd Round) of the 2013 MLB First-Year Player Draft. A right-hander, Newton came out of the bullpen for Pitt during the 2013 season. The Greensboro native spent his prep career at Southeast Guilford High School.
• Former PCC Bulldog Brett Williams doubled in what turned out to be the winning run last month to propel N.C. State past Rice University and on to Omaha, Neb., for the College World Series. Before joining the Wolfpack, Williams played two seasons at Pitt and was a member of the 2010 PCC squad that reached the JUCO World Series in Grand Junction, Colo.
• PCC Baseball will hold its final tryout of the summer for unsigned high school seniors at Minges-Overton Baseball Park on July 16. (READ STORY)